Auto accidents are always frustrating, but when you are the victim of a hit-and-run, you may be left feeling angry and confused about how to receive compensation for your damages and injuries. Fortunately, it is possible to receive the compensation that you are entitled to in this unfortunate situation. Follow these steps if you ever find yourself a victim of a hit-and-run.
Steps to Take After a Hit-and-Run
- Remain Calm. While we know that the situations can be stressful, it is important to remain calm and gather as much information as you can about the accident.
- Gather Information. Do you remember anything about the car? What was the make? Model? License plate number? Write down as much information as you can remember about the other driver and his or her vehicle. This will increase the chances of the police catching the driver, as well as help the insurance company make a decision regarding your claim.
- Gather Witnesses. Did anyone witness your accident? Ask for their names and contact information.
- Take Pictures. Take pictures of your car after the accident (especially if the other car’s paint is visible). This will help prove your case later on.
- File a Police Report – Don’t chase down the other driver. Instead, call the police and file an accident report. Having this report on file will go a long way towards proving the validity of your claim.
In the unfortunate event that you find yourself the victim of a hit-and-run accident, and you are struggling to receive compensation, do not hesitate to reach out to our office. Our attorneys are experienced in helping people receive compensation for their injuries and damages.