The state of New York has become a hot bed for car accidents over the past few years. More and more drivers, young and old are losing control and suffering some of the most devastating car accidents in history. And with a recent rash of car accidents in Long Island, according to Mr. Joel Levine, the top auto accident attorney in NYS, lawmakers are truly cracking down. This makes things a lot scarier for drivers, and despite being the top auto accident lawyer around, Mr. Levine and his team at LAW, PLLC, don’t want to see anyone get into an accident. However, if you do end up in one, its vital that you know exactly which steps to take. Here are the 5 most important things to do immediately after your accident.
1. Stop and pull your car safely over the to the side of the road away from any oncoming traffic. While things might be scary, it is never okay to flee the scene of an accident no matter what the circumstances are. And no matter what issues you may be facing, nothing will make it worse than getting charged with a hit and run at the same time.
2. Call the Police! According to the top auto accident attorney, Mr. Joel Levine, a police report of the accident is vital and can be a huge help to win the case – if you were the injured party of course!
3. Create your own record, of anything you see or any possible witnesses, including your own passengers. This can help out a great deal, as we have all got smart phones nowadays. Plus having photos and videos of the positioning in which the accident occurred, any damages that occurred, and anything that might be useful in the court of law. In one instance, a woman who had been hit by a drunk driver, and began filming immediately and was able to capture the other driver exiting the car and dropping two empty beer bottles as he did so. In addition, exchange information with the other driver if they are willing, otherwise wait for the police to come. And be sure to take photos or write down any of their information if they flee.
4. Seek medical attention if needed – in many cases this might actually be the most important thing but once you call 911, or even before, take stock of your well being and that of those around you – including the other driver. If anyone is hurt even in the tiniest bit, its vital that you call for help as these injuries can worsen later on.
5. Contact your personal injury auto accident lawyer! With so many negligent drivers on the road, it has become a bit of a constant occurrence. Therefore it is important to ask the advice of a qualified personal injury auto accident lawyer, like Mr. Joel Levine, Esq. In the event the accident occurred due to another party’s negligence it is important to avoid any misgivings that may dampen your case or claim.
For more information on any and all things to do with personal injury claims, be sure to contact LAW, PLLC today.